GroupCal – main screen
The main screen of GroupCal has 3 sections:
- Calendars List section – lists all the calendars you have in GroupCal, including your personal calendars, calendars you created and calendars you joined.
- Calendar View section – shows the events of the calendar selected from the Calendars List section.
- Account Section – displays account related information.
The Calendars List section
The Calendars List section of GroupCal is located on the left side of the main screen. It lists all your shared calendars that you have either created, or that others have created and shared with you.
The following are the main functionalities available in the Calendars List section:
- See the status of each of your shared calendars:
- The number of updates waiting for your review.
- Details about the last update and the time it was made.
- Whether the calendar is set not to provide reminders for its events.
- Whether the calendar is set to not show on the main “All Calendars” screen which aggregates all events from all calendars.
- Whether the calendar is pinned to the top of the list.
- Show any of the shared calendars screens by clicking on it.
- Show the “All Calendars” screen by tapping the All Calendars button. The All Calendars screen shows all events from all calendars together, excluding events from calendars that are set to not show their events on the All Calendars screen.
- Add a new calendar by tapping on the “+ Calendar” button.
The Calendar View section:
GroupCal shows events on a calendar screen based on the selection you make in the Calendars List section. In case you click on the “All Calendars” button, all events from all calendars are displayed in the Calendar View section.
When clicking on a specific shared calendar, only the events that belong to that calendar are shown in the Calendar View section. All other events that belong to other calendars will be shown dimmed on the screen. Tapping on any of the dimmed events will make them fully visible for a few seconds. This is done so even when viewing a specific calendar, you still have a context of your overall schedule.
Title of the calendar
The title of each shared calendar screen will show the name of the calendar currently presented, and a list of its members below it. Tapping on the title opens the calendar information screen.
Events are color coded
Events are color-coded based on their shared calendar color. This makes it easier to associate events with the calendar they belong to. Regular events that are part of a regular calendar account (Google, Outlook, etc.) get the color of their calendar account.
It’s possible to set a color for specific calendar members, and then events of that calendar will have the color of the member who is the owner of those events. If no such color is set for the owner of the event, the default calendar color is used.
On the “All Calendar” screen, group photos are shown on top of events. For Google Calendar events, GroupCal attaches the Google Calendar logo on top of the events. This allows users to easily associate events with their calendars.
Every event has a status which is indicated by a small icon.
|Event was saved and sent to all members.|
|Event received by all members.|
|All members sent a status update either by accepting, declining or sending “maybe”. This status is enabled only for events set to request members for confirmation.|
Buttons on the top bar of the calendar screens
- Back to today – scrolls the calendar screen to today.
- Choose Calendar view – select from the available Month, Week or Day views.
- Jump to month – change the range date presented on the calendar.
- Scroll arrows – change the presented dates.
Add new events
There are multiple ways to add new events:
- Clicking on the “+ Event” button
- Clicking on an open slot to start adding a new event there. Once the new event placeholder is added on the screen, you can drag and drop it in order to change the date, and drag its borders up and down in order to change the duration.
- Clicking an open slot, holding, and dragging down will allow you to add a new event and adjust its duration simultaneously.
New events are automatically added to the shared calendar from which they are added. When adding events from the All Calendars screen, they are associated with the default calendar account.
The Account Section:
The account section allows you to view and manage your profile information – your profile picture, name, and plan status, as well as control the settings of the application.
The following features are available in the Account section:
- Settings (gear icon):
- Select the language of the application.
- Add your google calendar accounts:
This feature allows you to add your existing Google calendar accounts directly into GroupCal. This will enable you to see your Google events in GroupCal, side by side with the shared events.
Check out this step-by-step guide and further information.
- Contact us – clicking on “contact us” will generate an email draft addressed to our support team: email@example.com. Use it to get technical support or in case you have questions about the application.
- Log out of your account.
- Add or edit your name – click on your name in order to make changes.
- Add or edit your profile picture – click on the profile picture to choose a new one.
- Plan status:
GroupCal has several paid plans with additional features and functionalities. The Account section will show your existing plan status, and will allow you to click on it to make changes.
Check the GroupCal plans article on this guide for further details.